Vintage Snakes & Ladders...

I stumbled across a new secondhand store today.  Well, actually it was my Mum who spotted it so we decided to pop in and have a quick look.  I walked out with three things that I love - this was one of them




I love it and Elijah has already spent a good hour playing with it.  I want to apologise in advance to any readers who find golliwogs racist - to me they are just a character but I do understand some people are offended by them.  From what I can find on the internet this set is from the 1950s - the box is a bit tattered but it is a complete set.

Comments

  1. Spied your blog title and had to take a peek! I'm your newest follower:) Your "about me" made me laugh. I'm 41 with a 3 year old! My lil' miracle--that's my Goose! I'm not really sure about "golliwog" but am guessing it's an old term?
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following my blog "Its ALl Random". Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard the song by New Zealand song writer Craig Smith?

    And I never looked at his colour and I never looked at his race
    I just liked his real cool hair and the smile across his face
    If they can make white dolls then why can’t they make black
    Raise your voice and shout out loud BRING THE GOLLYWOGS BACK

    The kids and I sing this at the top of our voices - we LOVE gollies :) and I love your op shop find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone would get beat up if they made one of those now. Cool find though!
    Thanks for the follow, right back at’cha! Hope I can share some deal and reviews you can use :)
    cookiesandclogs[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I love old board games. Oh you must know all the cool shops! I've been to that New Lynn Salvation Army store too, pretty crappy. Would you let me know any of the good ones?? We're in Mt Albert. I got a couple of nice blankets and some kids games at the Avondale Red Cross(??) store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts