Vintage explained...

A couple of days ago I received a comment to let me know that 1983 could not be considered vintage.  I was basically laughed at for thinking the 80s would now be vintage but I didn't let that comment get me down because it came from an Anonymous poster and therefore doesn't count as a 'real' comment.  Nevertheless I will apologise to "Anonymous" for any offence I caused.

I did a little research (ok a lot of research) about what is considered vintage and what is just old.

I found that the majority of sites I visited stated anything over 20 years can be considered vintage, with anything over 100 years antique.  Others stated it was a term hijacked by the media from the wine making industry.

On my quest for an answer I came across a beautiful site that I'm sure many of you will enjoy having a squizz at.

Visit site here

Burgin Streetman has a love of vintage kids books and has been reviewing them since 2007.  She has a fantastic collection with many books you will have grown up reading.  So I questioned her "What makes a book fall into the vintage category?"  Her reply being
"Technically to be termed vintage it has to be 20 years old. Anyone complaining to the contrary is in denial. "
I had a giggle at this because not only does it make others feel old, it makes ME feel old!  But why?  Does vintage automatically mean old?  Or is it just a term for an era passed?

Just a quick browse on sites like etsy reveals a lot of 80s gear labelled vintage (just over 42 500) and ebay has over 66 500 vintage 80s items for sale ranging from clothing to toys to books.

Yes, it's a bit of a grey area which I guess means it's up to the individual to decide what they consider vintage or not.  I don't set out to intentionally offend readers but I do expect a bit of respect in the comment section.  Really there is no need for sarcasm nor the need to hide behind the Anonymous veil - I'm nice, trust me!