Tutorial - updating a child's table and chair set

I bought Elijah a table and stool set from Mocka last Christmas.  They are great if you're looking for a cheap table and chair set without resorting to plastic.  Unfortunately some water was spilled on one of the stools and due to the type of manufactured wood, it expanded  in areas causing small splits.  It came with four stools so that wasn't a problem but for a while now I've been wanting to cover the top just in case there is another spill.  Originally I thought blackboard paint was the way to go BUT then I thought of all the dust that chalk makes.  I decided on a World map instead and so far it's a hit.  Elijah has spent the afternoon driving his cars from New Zealand to Australia to South Africa and back.  So not only is it fun, it's educational!


A very quick tutorial - this would be a great project to involve the kids.  You could even swap the map for some of their artwork.  You will need:
- map or other artwork
- table and chairs you want to update
- scissors & pen/pencil
- craft glue
- Mod Podge

Psst - click to enlarge :)

Comments

  1. I love that - what a fabulous idea!! I think I need to get my hands on some mod podge...it seems like handy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!!! You obviously don't get that artistic streak from meeeeeeeeeee, I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute. I covered a chair recently for Master 4 in bus maps but I used varnish. Haven't tried modge podge before it sounds a bit scary. LOVE the new blog title. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got the exact set off of trade me when they were on sale last xmas time, and have also left some water or something wet on there and it has a different texture and is a tad rough now, great idea, where do u get modge podge from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea! My Bug loves the world map, I put one in the toilet to make him stay in there long enough to toilet train ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miriam - Mod Podge is great - it's just a type of glue that dries hard and is water resistant. Before I tried it I had no idea what it was - I was imagining Podge to be a type of clay not a simple glue!

    emerson-j, you can buy it from Spotlight (they have a confusing range though) or from the Warehouse in the craft section ($10 a bottle which lasts quite a few projects even though the bottle looks small). It's a shame they've made kids tables & chairs that way without waterproofing them because I'm sure most kids would be using them for eating not just drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea!! I think maps are great for decorating with. How neat that he is learning where all the countries are with his little car too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts