Train play mat come storage...

If you have boys you will know that trains and tracks rate very highly among the most played with toys.  You may also have the same issue I have when buying toys for Christmas and birthdays, and end up buying yet another track set.  Elijah's sets have spent a few months in a box in the wardrobe (oh yes I am a mean Mum punishing him for not picking them up!) and more recently some time in my wash basket.  

While making the road mat I thought why not make something for his trains.  This, of course, was a lot easier to make and took less than an hour (which is good because I think I have pinched a nerve in my hip so I've been in a heap of pain) and would only require beginner sewing skills.

I think they would be great for all manner of toys - next up is a Lego playmat but maybe as a circle.  They could also be made for wooden blocks, Barbie type dolls, ponies, etc, etc
 I found this Thomas the Tank Engine piece of fabric at The Warehouse for less than $4
 and this was a vintage cotton sheet I had in the cupboard - it's so soft!
 Plenty of space for four sets of tracks - although I'm hoping I find a non-branded wooden set sometime before Christmas so we can on-sell the plastic sets.  It drives me mad having to look for batteries all the time!
Ready to hang in the wardrobe on an S hook (not sure what they are called but they are so handy!)

So, this is an Xmas present for Elijah - wish me luck in finding a wooden train set!

Comments

  1. we had a bag like this for our lego when we were kids made out of denim- great idea for trains and the like too. might have to make one of these for the toy library toys that end up all over the lounge! did you just sew around it leaving a gap for the drawstring? thanks (good idea re the s hook too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan

    I'm kicking myself for not joining a toy library! I tried to think of the easiest way to sew it so I could thread the drawstring so I used the same method as quilt binding except I did each side separate. So basically lay one fabric on top of the other wrong sides together then the binding (in four lengths) with the fold facing inwards, stitched each side then gave it a quick iron so it was flat then folded it over and stitched along each side again. Hope that makes some sort of sense :) A Lego play mat is next on the agenda but I'm not sure which fabric to use or whether to make a patchwork type mat so he can build little towns.

    Hotmail doesn't seem to be working so I hope you come back and check for this message :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that looks great! I wouldn't have thought to do that with a square (rather than round), it looks like it works fine!

    PS. I had that pinched nerve in the hip thing b4. Felt like contractions going down my legs!!
    Had an injection from the doc that sorted it. Hope you feel better soon.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea kelly, I get sick of cleaning up this and that from everywhere - maybe all three of mine need one! Bonus with the thomas fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the trains!- we got a non-branded set at windmill.com.au, althoughtI don't know about the international postage. I add bits and pieces from ebay, and Ikea also has a wooden set that's compatible with Thomas- although the trick is, the Thomas trains that fit on the plastic tracks aren't actually compatible with the Thomas or non-branded wooden tracks, ugh.

    I love the train mat! I've done a round Lego mat tutorial recently if you're interested in giving it a shot- it's here: http://bellgirl.com.au/2010/08/tutorial-playsak-drawstring-sack.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pssst, I might be blind, but I cannae see your email addy anywhere, for crafty swap purposes... ;)

    You can leave it on my blog or email me through my profile - thankies!

    Vic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea Kelly. May have to do this for Polly Pockets. They were invented by someone without kids obviously. I am constantly vacuuming tiny shoes up.
    You can get a great non branded wooden toy set from Potential Unlimited, 143 Queen Street, Northcote Point (Onewa road exit of the motorway). It's a second hand store but Debbie the owner sells great new toys as well. They are pretty reasonable too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The warehouse has a wooden set - 100 pieces for $99... I know this for definate as I was looking today, and it's definately the one we are buying Cam for his birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts