Gluten free date scones...

If you can get past the odd after-taste of gluten free flour then I recommend trying these date scones.  They may not look pretty but they are pretty similar to regular date scones.


Basic recipe (all approximates)
2 cups gluten free baking mix
1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup- 3/4 cup cold water

Sift baking mix, soda and sugar.  Rub in butter, add dates then slowly mix in water to form a soft dough.  Divide into balls or roll out and cut into squares.  Bake at 200C for 10-15 minutes or until browned.  Serve with your favourite topping.

Comments

  1. what gluten free baking mix are you using, I have needed to bake gf for many years now-shouldn't be a bad aftertaste, unless you are using a bean flour base-those I don't care for either.
    one of the best I have found is to use Bobs Red Mills gluten free pizza mix as flour-cup for cup-nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use healtheries baking mix, which is a good substitute for wheat flour. :)

    My daughter is also dairyfree and so I use margarine instead of butter and soy milk or coconut cream instead of milk. The coconut cream is the best for baking substitution - but probably not good if you're watching your weight - haha!

    Must try out your recipe on the fam.

    Have a neat day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just saying to my husband the other day that I felt like scones! I am GF and have been craving them. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooo!! loving all this gluten free baking. I am also GF and Im putting together a folder of all the recipes I find so I can have a little collection.
    If you want to, go here for the recipe on my blog for the YUMMIEST GF dessert ever -most people dont even know its gf! Its totally worth a try :)
    http://www.kiwiatheart.com/the-yummiest-gluten-free-dessert-apple-berry-crumble-tart/

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Leonie - I might have to try that one. I don't have to go gluten free but I do want to cut down. I've heard alot of people feel heaps better after swapping ordinary flour for GF so I thought it was worth a try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts