The value of op shopping....

I know alot of you will already know that op shopping or thrifting, allows you to get alot of 'stuff' for very little money.  But you have to shop around because not all op shops are alike.  In fact, their pricing structures can vary widely with some items deemed rubbishy by some being priced higher than some more valuable items.

I consider myself quite lucky to be close to some op shops that have very high turnovers.  I thought that I would show those who haven't stepped foot into an op shop, what exactly your money will buy on any given day.  Below are my purchases from three separate op shops.

#1 a (very) small church operated op shop
$1 could get you a cute cup, a pretty doily, a book of patterns, some pieces of fleece, an old school journal and a Japanese text book

#2 A Red Cross store
$4.60 could get you a genuine My Little Pony soft toy, a Kate Finn horse rattle, an Emily the Strange hoody, toy truck (not pictured) and a pretty Windsorware saucer

#3 a Salvation Army Family Store
$24 could get you a new sewing chair, a Winnie the Pooh nursery rhyme book, a book for myself, 26 assorted doilies and napkins, a named cup for Ella (niece), a cute little gingham tablecloth, a Nici Little Wingles soft toy (so cute), a Leapfrog Alphabet Pal, a bright hand knitted hat for Elijah (new) and a stainless steel tea pot

So for less than $30 I 1) had alot of fun & 2) bought alot of stuff!

So, if you haven't been in an op shop lately - go!  You don't know what you're missing!

Comments

  1. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Alphabet Pal is EVIL!!!!! (also you can make it swear :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's so disappointing when you go and don't find anything (I suppose just like normal shopping)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great purchases! like the new font on your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul Kelly, love the teapot and the tablecloth. The new blog layout looks great too

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you do so well with your op shopping - I've recently discovered op-shopping but I seem to find the bargains you have been!
    Where do you go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 26 assorted doilies!! I'm so jealous! You make me want to run down to my local op-shop right now to see what I'm missing (of course it's closed and I have no money, so thats not possible). I am thoroughly looking forward to my trip to funky junk on friday for some free thrifting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Megan & Lou - I think I prefer it this way but give me a few weeks and I'm likely to change my mind again! I do have to fix the header because I thought I had made the corners transparent- clearly they are white! grrr

    Mel - Elijah loves it but I can see it wearing thin in a few days

    CCC (sorry couldn't find your name anywhere) - you are right, it can be just like normal shopping but a bit more exciting even if you go home with nothing the kids will think it's a great adventure

    Lou - the teapot was stained beyond belief but I put half a spud, some baking soda and boiling water in and left for a few hours - just like new!

    Cat - I stick to the Glen Eden/New Lynn areas because I go when I have other things to do. The Glen Eden Salvation Army is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the joys of the op shop. I need to do it some more. It's the small people in tow I find tricky! Great haul. We love the aiphabet pal. Master 1 calls it 'a' and Master 4 likes practising his letter sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowwwww.great things you bought !!...and so cheap !!...enjoy !!! happy day hugs Ria...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh your the 2nd person who has told me that Glen Eden Celebration Army is the best - I've been going to the New Lynn one, however, they recently put all their prices up. I haven't checked out Red Cross New Lynn yet.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is amazing what you can find, such treasures cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cat - I went to the New Lynn one once and I didn't like the way they spoke to me - I found an old chair for $1, they more or less implied that I had changed the price and it was actually $10 - This was a chair that you could buy at the Warehouse for $16! When we took the price sticker off there was a big hole in the seat - bit cheeky if you ask me. And yes their prices are out of reach for most families which is sad. The Glen Eden one is very reasonable - I'm going to have a quick look in the Henderson one to see what it's like :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the op shops around here. I'm in them about 3 times a week. Between the op shops and Trade Me, I do very well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts