To ban or not to ban...

myself from thrifting/op shopping?  I wish I had the strength but seriously I have so much fun while out op shopping - and so does Elijah!  I do think that sometimes I go a bit too often - this week we went twice.  Actually we made five visits - twice to the Salvation Army, twice to the little church op shop and once to the Red Cross op shop.  So, what makes me keep going back?

















Lots of stuff!

 Children's books are always a favourite

 This one was a freebie - it helps to be friendly ;)  I'm not sure how old it is because it doesn't have a date but it's pretty nonetheless - Hard Times by Charles Dickens

I'm going to learn how to knit - I really am!  Look at those delicious cottons...

 Some lovely Irish linen placemats - I'm assuming they are placemats - they are rectangular.

 Yes, Elijah does quite well out of these expeditions - not pictured is the Hot Wheels track thing that he decided to use in the bath last night
 He was so excited 'I read two pages all by myself Mum!'  The night before we had read together - I taught him how to sound out words.  He's pretty clever and knows all his letters and their sounds - not bad for a three year old

Rumpelstiltskin!

Op shopping is highly addictive!  The upside is that this addiction doesn't cost as much as other addictions (like shoes), it's non-toxic (unlike smoking) and it doesn't make you put on weight (unlike
chocolate).  I feel it's also good for your morale when you walk out with a bargain!  The only downside is you end up with alot of stuff.  But you know how it goes - reduce, recycle, reuse and all that.

I was hoping to sit down and sew sometime today but I'm a sucker for punishment and had Chinese takeaways last night.  I now have a mild migraine - I should have known better!  MSG overdose I think they call it?

Anyway, can't complain.  We have blue skies here today, a few showers but mostly sun.  Just a beautiful Autumn day

Comments

  1. I love thrift store shopping. There was a shop hop at all the shops where I am from today and I got this awesome vintage redwork sheet. You can see it at my blog. I say totally keep on thrifting.

    Stephanie
    blackcoffeequilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when i read this post, because it seems we are living similar lives :) I also had chinese takeaways last night, my daughter has one of those books - zigby dives in, I also got a couple of gorgeous vintage novels (from funky junk), and I bought some knitting needles from an opshop today, although mine are not going to be used for knitting. I still have major doily envy, you must have an awesome collection by now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome scores! AND a BIG, BIG thank you for my awesome parcel that arrived today. I LOVE it all!! I have blogged about it and put in a link. Thank you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I am sooo the same!! I even but the same things and my major goal is to learn to knit this winter!!! I NEED a pair of arm warmer finger less glove thingiees...NEED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrift store shopping takes away stress for me---so don't feel bad when you keep collecting "stuff." It's relaxing to find new treasures and if the kiddos like it too that is a plus as well:) Here's to thrift store shopping!(raising my glass --from the thrift store of course....hahahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say the more the merrier. You just keep recycling it back to the op shop when you are inundated with stuff!
    Let you into a little secret. I was too chicken to even ENTER the apron swap, so i will be having major apron envy when I see the results of all that apron making. I promised myself I'd enter the next one.
    Looks like you must have plucked up the courage to post, going by the comment from maleitgiveit. Enjoy that knitting!
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great buys! And I think I now know why I'm not scoring so well in the op shopping in my local area *smiles* I'm thinking you are beating me to the bargains LOL - I'm loving the childrens books you are getting! I have a soft spot for little golden books
    Cat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts