Quilt update...

The last few days has seen me hand stitching the nights and mornings away.  As we head into Winter (officially tomorrow I guess) I have realised it's going to be a cold one so we need more blankets!  I started on a quilt a couple of months ago and at that stage I was thinking of selling it once it was finished.  Well all that changed after I spent hours and hours hand stitching!

It is by no means a traditional quilt, more of a piece it together as you go job.  It is far, far from perfect and many experienced quilters may gasp (some may even faint) but when I started this I didn't own an iron!  All it has really cost me is the price of a thrifted woollen blanket (about $5) as I used up fabric from my stash.

 More hand stitching than I realised *sigh*
Inattention meant alot of injuries! 
But I think it will be worth it - it's so heavy it has to be warm!

Comments

  1. This is gorgeous, I love traditional quilts/patchwork of using up scraps (I've recently blogged about my first ever) and as for hand stitching OMG you're good! I even machine stitch my binding - and I love the photo of the pricked finger! I have one similar where I have a barbie and an iceage plaster on each finger, it was at that point I realized I needed to go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's looking fabulous Kelly, I was just sorting through fabric to make a quilt up for me :) You have inspired me to get cracking and make a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I've been thinking about trying to organise some kind of craft get together for not only bloggers but anyone that is keen to meet up and sit, chat, sew, knit etc. Would you be keen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have inspired me, but as I say I am not very good at sewing or sticking to anything so i might have to do a dolls quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i wanna learn to do that...did u teach yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. emerson-j - yes but I think it looks more impressive than it really is because the fabric I used around the outside and the back is printed patchwork sheeting - I just stitched around each square - I don't think I could have handled piecing that many squares together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww kelly its gorgeous! nice work...... are you sure you want it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha yes Vanessa - I sure do! It weighs a tonne (not quite but a good 5 - 6 kgs at a guess) and even though the sewing isn't perfect I think it might last a few years at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you may have inspired me...... I have a huge fabric stash that sits there taunting me. Might be time to get creative with it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts