A 'free' rag quilt...

A few weeks ago I was given a huge pile of old pyjamas from my cousin.  Her boys had grown out of them so she thought she'd pass them on.  I went through and picked about seven or eight pairs I thought would see another year and the rest went into a pile to 'repurpose'.



I found a tutorial (with video clip!) on Beverly's which I am guessing is similar to Spotlight here, and I decided I'd cut up the non-wearable pyjamas (some had tops missing, some had lost their elastic, others had holes or missing buttons) and make them into a rag quilt big enough to keep Elijah warm while watching TV during those cold wintery days.


The whole process was really simple and I guess that's why it had been rated a beginners project.  I spent two afternoons and one night working on this but remember I have a 3 year old to tend to whilst sewing.  It could get quite tedious if you decided to make a larger blanket but then I would recommend using larger squares (you'd probably want to buy new fabric) as the squares I used were approx 17cmx17cm so fairly small.  This quilt is just big enough to cover my legs and because it's flannelette it's quite soft.  I imagine if you used new fabric it would be alot nicer.

I don't own a drier so I think this might take quite a few washes before it stops shedding!  I don't mind though because Elijah is excited just to be getting a 'present'.

Comments

  1. Hi Kelly. That quilt looks so nice and snuggly. hey if you don't mind me asking how did you get the buttons at the top of your page(home, play, live etc)? I'm trying to do something similar on my blog. Could you please comment back to me or email fvakapuna@xtra.co.nz if you can help. Ta

    ReplyDelete
  2. *starts making a pile of old PJ's* I am so gonna try make one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly, thank you for entering my Facebook Fabric Giveaway, good luck.

    What a gorgeous quilt and what a great idea to use up all those boys lovely prints.

    Susie from
    I Just Love That Fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone - I figured they could either be thrown out (didn't feel so great about that!), used as rags or made into something. Next time I might have to use new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea~Jammies! I LOVE it! Would work both way with girls jammies too! Now my mind is spinning, got some ideas a going here, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts