Zakka!

After hearing someone talk of the online request system, I decided to have a nosy.  I could get used to typing in what I want, requesting it, then waiting for an email saying I could now pick them up.  It couldn't be much easier, especially with small people in tow. 

Today, though, I had dropped Elijah off at kindy for his first day back.  I had been expecting a scene, but he was really good about it and let me leave intact.  I nipped up to the local library to pick up three books I had requested.

Zakka Sewing - a gorgeous book of 25 Japanese crafts
Make! - another Cath Kidston title with some lovely ideas, more of a decorating ideas book rather than a sewing manual.  I love the fact that she makes no secret of being a limited seamstress!
Domestic Bliss - a book I saw on Megan's Simple Pleasures that I've been meaning to read

I have to say I am now completely in love with zakka! You don't know what zakka is???  Well, I didn't know either - until today

 In Japan, all the 'small, various products used in everyday life' are commonly called 'zakka,' a term which encompasses household goods, daily necessities and sundries. However, zakka has also come to represent a style of art and craft that is simple, charming, and of Japanese esthetic. Most items in the zakka style are handmade, but there are commercial companies that mass produce items using the style. The Japanese dictionary describes zakka as "general merchandise", "miscellaneous goods", "sundries", "sundry goods" including interior goods, kitchen goods or even cosmetic product.
 http://www.squidoo.com/zakka 

So, here are a few projects you might like to have a go at




Comments

  1. I'm liking the look of that bag!! Wishing Charlotte was old enough to "get" knucklebones so I had an excuse to make a set (or two) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Zakka. The GE library has a really cool book. You need to start using the online request form :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe Renee - I just made a set - I don't think Elijah will be able to get the gist of them yet though

    Jo - I have the Zakka book now and the online service is great! I will be using it alot :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts