Thoughts on home decorating, possessions, and money...

I wrote this near midnight last night so forgive me if I ramble a bit.  I was getting frustrated with myself for forever changing my mind on how to decorate my home.  Ok, so it's not my house, it's a rental and an ugly one at that.  So, I am forever looking for inspiration.  It seems that no matter how I decorate, it will still be an ugly house.

Am I the only one who is constantly searching for 'that' style?  You know, the one that actually sticks - like our grandparents had.  A place for everything, and everything in it's place and all that.  We live in such a throw away society with $2 shops on every corner.  We have so many options.  We no longer have to rely on the local Farmers for all our homeware needs (hands up who remembers Farmers in Ngaruawahia!  meh probably just me).  We have become so hell bent on 'owning' things - it's all about the latest phone, the most expensive car, the biggest TV screen.  I hate to think what I would buy if I had the money - right now, I'm really glad I don't!

I hear a lot of "we're on the bones of our bums" stuff and honestly, I don't believe it.  Come and tell me that when you really are - when you don't have a roof over your head, have no food and nobody else who cares to help you.  In my opinion, if you own all the mod cons, have drinkies every Friday and go out of town every other weekend then, no, you are not on the "bones of your bum".

Whoa!  Way off topic!  Where was I going with that???

Oh, yes, I was thinking what was really necessary in today's homes, and how do homes differ from those of, say 30 or 40 years ago.  Is the amount and type of 'stuff' we have in our homes today making our lives more convenient or more stressful?  Can we live without that spare room, which inevitably ends up as a junk room?  Why do we hang on to stuff that has no actual purpose?  And are we expected to hang on to gifts even when we have no use for them?  What about handmade gifts - do others love or loathe recieving them?  Should we be giving flowers, wine, baking or even experiences in lieu of material items?

As you can see, I have been thinking quite a bit about this.  I'm not sure if it's come with age or if I have just come to a point in life where I feel quite overwhelmed with an abundance of possessions.  I don't 'want' for anything anymore, yet I don't own anything flash.  The 'I want' stage has, however, hit the 3 year old, with Elijah reminding us everyday of his 'wants'.

We no longer have to save for the bigger items, there are finance options.  Sometimes our purchases are mindless but we buy because we can, not necessarily because we need.

Before this post gets too long, take a look around the room you're in.  What could you go without, if need be?  Could you survive without a TV, without a phone, or without internet?  Could you even go without electricity - possibly the biggest convenience ever invented?

Comments

  1. I think I could go without most things that we own, but probably not the internet, lol. ;)

    I would however like to go without a tv. I honestly feel like it takes up so much time that a family would be spending together. Life is too short to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Becky - some days I just unplug the TV because I can't stand the sound. But then I get protests from Elijah saying he was watching - when really he wasn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Kelly. We live week by week, don't go away every weekend, certainly don't have drinks every week and have to plan for everything. I have friends who have gone back to work and moan that they have to work to support their lifestyle. It makes me really really angry. I buy 2nd hand most of the time, don't have sky etc and we survive.

    Although if I did have heaps of money I would probably spend it on fabulous designer fabric to make the quilts I want to for our house LOL so that the 'style' I want in our home becomes a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh you have me thinking about nice quilts now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We (well really I, lol) decided to simplify our home/life about 5 years ago. I never buy stuff just because I like it. If I am going to buy something it has to have a 'place' or it does not come in the house. Also, if something has not been used for a year, it gets sold. The only things I do keep is baby/kids gear because I know Isla will grow into it. I often look round and feel quite disgusted with the consumerism in our society today and do my best to avoid ever being sucked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did get sucked - I thought I could only dress Elijah in Pumpkin Patch and only let him play with branded toys (Playskool, Fisher Price, Little Tikes etc). I know better now but I still have alot that I don't need. That's a great idea for something to have a place before buying. I haven't bought anything new in a while but as you know, I'm a regular op shopper!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts