Butter free date scones...

Being lost for ideas for lunch I decided I'd bake something.  I scrolled through the many recipes for scones on the net but found alot of them a bit too involved.  I like to keep my baking simple and personally I think the less mixing the better - unless you're making a pav.

Usually when I bake I just throw it all in and hope for the best - everything usually works out fine.  But when I discovered I was missing a few ingredients, I was bummed.  I haven't really baked anything decent for over a month.  I was out of self raising flour AND only had half a teaspoon of baking powder left.

Well, I made them anyway.  And it wasn't until I pulled them out of the oven that I realised I had forgotten to use butter.  They turned out great anyway.


A pizza stone is a must in any kitchen - mine stays in the oven even when I'm cooking something else


who would have guessed they had no butter?


mmm ok I added a little Olivani and golden syrup - perfect with a cup of tea

So, for this simple recipe (if you don't have a favourite scone recipe already), you will need

2 cups flour (maybe a little more)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped dates
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix this lot together then add a mixture of 1 cup milk and 1 egg.  Gently mix ingredients to form a soft dough.  Add more flour if you need to - remember I am notorious for not measuring!  Shape and bake, on an oven tray or pizza stone, until golden.  Mine took about 15 minutes but then again I never time anything!

Comments

  1. I made these with wheat free flour and they were tasty. Strange texture probably due to the wheat free flour and I used raisins instead of dates. Not bad for wheat free, dairy free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recipe. Even better with no butter. Use Natvia and super trim milk and they are uber healthy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. Napoleon Hill

Popular Posts