Butter free date scones...

Being lost for ideas for lunch I decided I'd bake something.  I scrolled through the many recipes for scones on the net but found alot of them a bit too involved.  I like to keep my baking simple and personally I think the less mixing the better - unless you're making a pav.

Usually when I bake I just throw it all in and hope for the best - everything usually works out fine.  But when I discovered I was missing a few ingredients, I was bummed.  I haven't really baked anything decent for over a month.  I was out of self raising flour AND only had half a teaspoon of baking powder left.

Well, I made them anyway.  And it wasn't until I pulled them out of the oven that I realised I had forgotten to use butter.  They turned out great anyway.


A pizza stone is a must in any kitchen - mine stays in the oven even when I'm cooking something else


who would have guessed they had no butter?


mmm ok I added a little Olivani and golden syrup - perfect with a cup of tea

So, for this simple recipe (if you don't have a favourite scone recipe already), you will need

2 cups flour (maybe a little more)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped dates
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix this lot together then add a mixture of 1 cup milk and 1 egg.  Gently mix ingredients to form a soft dough.  Add more flour if you need to - remember I am notorious for not measuring!  Shape and bake, on an oven tray or pizza stone, until golden.  Mine took about 15 minutes but then again I never time anything!